Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pay Your Debt First

One of my co-workers mentioned to me he's lost some money in the stock market, and he's still got two student loans to pay off. Some of the student loan was for his education, but some was put in the stock market. He must be thinking of making a fortune at that time, but it didn't turn out that well, and he lost almost all of them. What he said to me got me start thinking in his shoes. If I were him, I would definitely not do a swap like he did, using loans to play in the stock market. I probably would take out the loan and put it in a high-yield saving account to earn some free interest since most student loan are interest free while you are still a student. If I were him, I definitely would pay off those student loans first before investing huge amount of money in the stock market. But if I were him, I would try to avoid taking out any loans at the first place.

"Avoid debt!" My mother used to tell me when I was a little boy. As a result, I was able to get a college education without paying a penny. Thanks to scholarships and financial aid. As a result, not only I don't pay anything out of my pocket for tuition+books+room+board, I even receive a refund check every semester. I'm very proud that I'm still debt free at this point of my life. I often hear people saying that it's necessary to take out this loan or that loan, which I disagree with completely. When you have to take out a loan to do something, this suggests one and only one thing, and that is the thing you are aiming for is not something you can afford now. You have to ask yourself, "Is it really worth it?" Of course you will have to fill in the blanks for the definition of this worth here. But one thing you have to be clear is that taking out a loan will for sure put a burden on your financial freedom, which will affect your overall freedom inevitably. Be cautious, and avoid debt.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online