Thursday, April 3, 2008

Admonition of Recession

On Wednesday April 02, the day after April fool's, Bernanke conceded for the first time in front of a congressional panel that U.S. economy may slip into a recession. On the same day, Dell announced to follow its job cutting plan to close down its Austin manufacturing facilities and lay off 8800 employees. On the same day, my company also decided to close down 10 offices and kick out about 200 employees. I wasn't asked to go, though the Austin office I currently work at is to be shut down. I was actually quite agog over the second and the third news for the following reasons:
  1. Amid the housing turbulence nation wide, Austin housing prices actually appreciated 0.3% over the past year. This makes Austin one of the few most active housing market nation wide. I've been shopping around and looking for bargains, but there are hardly any. The dell job cut will definitely have a negative impact on the local market, which will be good for me.
  2. The closure of our office means working from home, which saves gas and time to travel. Plus, this will enable me to move to a cheaper apartment which is far away from my current office, which is located in the most expensive area in Austin.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online