Saturday, February 23, 2008

Portfolio Allocation for My 401K

After setting up the asset-mix target for my 401k account, I wasted no time and started building my portfolio. But before allocating my money according to the asset-mix target, I had to decide which funds to invest in. This process was relatively easy since I've only got a limited choices to choose from. (This is not uncommon for an employer sponsored 401k plan.) When it comes to picking mutual fund for retirement (meaning I will held them for at least 30 years), my first and must-followed criteria is:

Avoid Expensive Fund!!!

This follows after my philosophy: control the things that you can first. The past performance of a fund is at the end of my checklist, if it is even included in my check-list. Now, what do I consider an expensive fund? This is a tricky question to answer because the annual expensive ratio usually don't tell the whole story. If you were to dig into the fund's Statement of Additional Information (SAI), you would be surprised how much more you would be paying besides the expense measured by the expense ratio. The turn-over rate has a positive correlation with the commissions your would be paying, (the bigger the turn-over rate, the higher the commissions), but it doesn't tell us how much exactly the commissions would be. I actually examined the SAI for all the funds I picked for my 401k, and to be honest, even I was able to find all the numbers, these expense related numbers are not by any means easy to understand. I think one day I'd call the fund company and ask their guy to go through the SAI with me. But, just to give you a clue how crazy the actual cost could be, Vanguard Institutional Index Fund (VINIX) has the lowest annual expense ratio (0.05%) among all the funds in my 401k, after adding the numbers of extra costs, the actual expense ratio becomes 0.22%, which is 4 times more! It's time consuming and boring to go through all the SAIs, so I came up with the following rule:

Avoid funds with both annual expense rate > 1.2% and turn-over rate > 150%!!!

These funds would be thrown out no doubt period. Though funds on the boarder line will be considered, for example, my FID overseas (FOSFX) has an annual expense 1.00% and turn-over rate 132%, I prefer funds with expense rate below 0.5% and turn-over rate below 50%. Enough being said, here is my 401k portfolio:

Cap Ticker Contribution %
Large Index VINIX 30
Mid VHCAX 17
Small VEXRX 20
Foreign FOSFX 29
Bond VBTIX 4

This portfolio meets my asset-mix target. How did I come up these numbers under the "contribution %" column? I designed this neat excel workbook (download it here).
  • First, you need to fill out the "Data Entry" tab by looking up the your funds in morningstar and obtaining the corresponding info from the portfolio page. (A page like this) Look at the Market Capitalization table and Asset Allocation table on the page. You also need to subtract the foreign stock holding from the stock holding to get the U.S. stock holding.
  • Second, go to the "Result" tab, enter your estimated contribution % and then notice the table on the lower right will give you the mixing result under these contribution%. By comparing this table with your asset mix target and adjusting these contribution%, you can figure out the appropriate contribution%.
Since I wasn't able to find a free and user friendly portfolio allocator that does what I want on google, I came up with my own. Let me know whether this small tool is helpful to you.
Here is the comparison of the resulting mix with my target:

1st Level
Target 401K

U.S. Stocks 65.0% 64.7%

Foreign Stocks 25.0% 25.2%

Bonds/Cash/Others 10.0% 10.2%

Total 100.0% 100.0%




2nd level Giant/Large 55.0% 58.0%

Mid 25.0% 27.4%

Small/Micro 10.0% 10.6%

Total 90.0% 96.0%




3nd level_non foreign Giant/Large 35.0% 36.7%

Mid 20.0% 19.9%

Small/Micro 10.0% 10.5%

Total 65.0% 67.0%

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online